Grants are made to tax-exempt 501(c)(3) independent and educational institutions. There are no grants awarded to individuals.
Applications must be submitted exclusively through the Mathers Portal.
The process for application is as follows:
- Registration – You must first register on the Mathers Foundation portal. Once your registration is approved, you will be assigned a username and password. This will be sent via email to the address indicated on your registration. All registrations must be received 2 weeks prior to the LOI due date.
- Step 1 – Letter of Intent – The LOI is submitted through the portal. The LOI requires the submission of a short summary of the proposed research project, a preliminary set of aims, a discussion of previous or related work, and a preliminary budget estimate. LOI should be accompanied by the Principal Investigator’s C.V. or NIH Biosketch, and history of previously published research studies. Based on query reviews, formal proposals will be invited.
- Step 2 – Proposal – The Proposal step of the application process will require the submission of a detailed description of the project, expanding on the information provided in the LOI. If you are invited to submit a proposal, you will be notified via email to log into the portal and complete your application. The proposal will include a series of questions to answer, and will require a PDF attachment which should include the following:
- Lay Summary
- Specific aims of the proposed investigation, and proof of concept, as appropriate
- History of prior or related research (Such disclosure should categorize the proposed investigation in a context of the contemporaneous or historical efforts by other investigators addressing similar or collaborative efforts.)
- How the investigation will be conducted (test plan/methodology)
- What makes this investigation unique and/or innovative? Would you consider this project high risk / high reward? Is this investigation a new direction from your prior research efforts?
- Budget with detailed justification and allocation of funds requested. This budget justification should provide detailed costs of investigators’ salaries, laboratory supplies, etc. Indirect costs may not exceed 10%. (separate attachment)
- C.V.s of each of the team members involved. This should include primary investigator, and support staff that provide 30% or more of their time on the project (post-docs, graduate students, etc.) (separate attachment)
Applications are approved on a trimester basis. Please refer to Mathers Application Review Process and Due Dates for details.
For all other non-application related questions, or for support with the portal registration, email [email protected].